Zika virus has been reported in Antigua and Barbuda regions.With local mosquitoes transmission of the virus, the people in the region are at risk of being infected.The symptoms of the virus include ;fever,joint pain,rash and red eyes.
CDC has given recommendation to guide in preventing the spread of the disease between the people within the region and those traveling to the region.
Measures To Stop The Spread of Zika Virus
- Preventing mosquito bites by:-covering exposed skin by wearing long sleeved shirts and pants ,use EPA registered insect repellents containing DEET ,picaridin,oil of lemon eucalyptus and should be used as directed by the manufacturer.
- Permethrin-treated clothing and gear should be used.
- Mosquito nets should be used always when sleeping.
- If possible stay in places with air conditioning with windows and door screens to keep mosquitoes outside.
- Avoid sex or use condoms
- Women who are pregnant should not travel to Antigua and Barbuda
Although many people who are infected with Zika virus do not show signs of sickness it can lead or trigger Guillain-Barre Syndrome(GBS) which is a rare disorder which can cause muscle weakness and paralysis for weeks to even several months.Most people however recover from GBS but some have permanent damage.